The village of Bethany could, once upon a time, be found along the Southern Pacific Railroad’s Martinez-to-Tracy extension, just a few miles outside the latter city’s limits. These days, few signs remain of Bethany: an old farm road that ends near the tracks is perhaps the most significant remnant. (A reservoir in the nearby Livermore Hills is named for the town, but is several miles distant.)
The Central Pacific Railroad built a depot at Bethany around 1878 along the extension, which was constructed as the San Pablo & Tulare Railroad; in the early Twentieth Century, this section of tracks appeared on USGS maps – including the one below from 1914 – as the Southern Pacific’s “San Francisco and New Orleans Line.”
Today, it is known to railheads as the “Mococo Line.” It was the construction of this extension that led directly to the birth of Tracy at the end of the 1870s.
Designated in the SP’s standard plans as a “Two-Story Combination Depot No. 1,” the structure at Bethany was one of fifteen in this style built by the railroad.
Of those fifteen, four were constructed along the Mococo in addition to Bethany: at Antioch, Avon, Brentwood and Martinez. (The Antioch and Avon depots were replaced around the turn of the 20th century with other structures; the Martinez depot was reconfigured into a single-story building in 1942.)
The term “combination” in the plan referred to the dual purposes of the building: it served as both a depot and residence (on the second story, where the station agent and his family lived).
The Southern Pacific’s Time Table No. 239 for the Martinez Subdivision, effective March 26, 1944, showed six passenger trains (three northbound, three southbound) and three freight trains making daily stops at Bethany, including the Owl (trains 25 and 26, carrying overnight riders between San Francisco and Los Angeles via the Los Banos sub) and the San Joaquin (trains 51 and 52, carrying daytime riders between San Francisco and Los Angeles via the Merced sub).
In the rustic Bob Morris photo accompanying this text (above), a child – perhaps the offspring of the resident station agent – plays in the depot’s dusty parking lot. Beyond the covered freight dock, which is open on the far (track) side, alone box car waits.
The Bethany depot was closed in 1959, perhaps a year or so after the above photo was taken, and was subsequently torn down.
REFERENCE: “Southern Pacific Lines Standard-Design Depots” by Henry E. Bender Jr. (Signature Press, 2013); “Southern Pacific Depots In California, Volume 1” by Stephen M. Hayes (Hayes Publishing, 2010).
Special thanks to Robert Morris for his generous permission to reprint his circa 1958 photograph of the Bethany depot.
Text and contemporary photographs (November 2013) by David Jackson.